Monday, February 13, 2017

The Devil's Daughter by Katee Robert

When I read this, I totally missed the fact that it was romantic suspense and basically only focused on the mystery portion of it. Because when you have an ex-cult member coming back to investigate a murder that said cult (which was started and is run by her mother) may be involved in, you basically have me hooked.

In The Devil's Daughter, Eden is the ex-cult member I mentioned. She was brought back when someone mysteriously emailed her the photo of a recently found corpse - a corpse which has tattoos very much like hers. The sheriff of this town happens to be Zach Owens, who just wants to solve the case. The two have an instant attraction to one another but I wasn't that interested in it. Mostly, I was interested in the mystery.

And luckily for me, the book totally delivered. There were a few chapters on how their relationship progressed - which I admittedly skimmed - but most of the book is focused on the cult and the murder. And of course, Eden's relationship with her mother, Martha. The mother-daughter relationship is the one that fascinated me, because I can't tell whether Martha is manipulative but loves her daughter or just manipulative. And of course, Eden's need to break free from her mother's hold had me rooting for her from the start.

The case progressed at quite a fast pace, although sometimes it seemed like things were being propelled forward by the culprits rather than the two solving things. But then again, I think the star of this book is the cult, how it operates, and the mother-daughter relationship going on, so I'm not that concerned about whether this is a traditional whodunnit that the reader can solve.

This is a fairly quick, thrilling read that features a fascinating cast of characters.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

2 comments :

  1. I enjoy romantic suspense novels, but definitely prefer it when the mystery component is the strongest. This sounds intriguing, Eustacia. I've always had an interest in cults--I find them fascinating, even if disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like this one! It's a cult based on Demeter and Persephone, which isn't something that I've seen much.

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^