Monday, June 13, 2016

Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs

I have to say, I enjoyed this a lot more than the first novel, Deja Dead. Maybe it's because I've completely managed to divorce it from the TV show Bones, or maybe it's because I haven't watched Bones in a long time because of season 11.

Death Du Jour opens with the subplot, where Brennan is asked to authenticate the bones of a (possible) Saint (if the paperwork goes through). That connects to the main plot, which is of a gruesome family murder.

One case is tied to another, and soon, Brennan is deep in what possibly could be a cult-related case.

I found this case to be very interesting, and I didn't even mind the long explanations of things like the definition of cults and such because I thought it was fascinating. But if you're sensitive to info-dumps, well, you've been warned. I didn't think it was that bad, but it toes the line.

Another thing that I really enjoyed about this book were the relationships - Brennan and her daughter, Brennan and her sister, even Brennan and Ryan, which definitely have a Brennan-Booth vibe going on, now that I think about it. But my favourite was definitely Brennan and her daughter, because they seem to have a good relationship, which is quite refreshing to read.

Plus, that scene with Birdie (Brennan's cat). No spoilers, but it was a heart-clenching one for me.

All in all, this was a really enjoyable story. I gobbled it up, and I'll definitely be reading more in the series.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^