Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Teaser Tuesday - The God's Eye View by Barry Eisler and 謎解きはディナーのあとで

It's Tuesday! And I have a cold, I think. Most of the symptoms have been successfully suppressed with medicine, but I have an awfully dry throat now (and oddly enough, no drowsiness, despite what the label said).

Right now, I'm reading The God's Eye View by Barry Eisler, a novel on surveillance. I'm only two chapters in, but it's off to an exciting start.

My teaser:

"The outfit was ostentatiously stylish in the corridors of NSA, especially during shirtsleeves summer, but Anders supposed the look had its merits - chiefly that it at least partly disguised the fact that once upon a time, Delgado had earned a reputation as a technology-savvy killer for various East Coast crime organisations, both foreign and domestic. 
That had been ten years ago, when Anders had warned him about and ran interference with the FBI task force looking to put him behind bars."
Another book that I just finished today is called 謎解きはディナーのあとで or Problem solving after dinner. It's a crime series that was turned into a drama (and a movie) in Japan. Basically it's about a rich heiress who's also a police officer, and her butler, who's way better at solving cases than she is. It's really funny, and the book makes me want to watch the series. The teaser (for those who know Japanese):

麗子はおずおずと男のもとに歩み寄り、「ごめんなさい」と、とりあえず頭を下げて謝った。「修理代はいくらかしら?」 
「ご心配なく。せいぜい七、八万円といったところでしょう」男は何事もないように静かに立ち上がると、麗子の方を向いて恭しく一礼した。「ほんのかすり傷でございます。お嬢様」
Basically, in this scene, Reiko (the protagonist) has accidentally damaged an expensive car, and (this is where the quote starts), she goes to the man driving it to apologise and ask about the damages. The man estimates it to be 700000 to 800000 yen, but the reveal is - she owns the car, and this is her new butler.

Oh, and the 「」 marks are actually quotation marks for speech! That gave me quite a shock the first time I saw it!

What is your teaser today?
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books and a Beat. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read 
  • Open to a random page 
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page 
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!) 
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

1 comment :

  1. Both books sound interesting. My teaser this week comes from the first book in a series I have been meaning to begin for years - When Gods Die by C. S. Harris. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^