Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Single Woman by Mandy Hale

Since I saw the book Real Men Don't Text on NetGalley, I figured that The Single Woman would be a good complementary book to read. But like Real Men Don't Text, I thought it was interesting but not great.

The Single Woman is divided into eight parts and an epilogue, talking about why it's ok to be single and how to live your single life to the fullest. The author uses experiences from her life and the life of others to illustrate her points. In between, there are one page quotes (from whatever chapter we're in) to emphasize a point.

For some reason, this book felt like a collection of blog posts to me. There's nothing wrong with blog posts, but it just felt like that. I thought there were a few subjects that could have had much more detail and discussion, but since everything was about the same length, it ended up feeling rather shallow. I would much rather the book picked a few key topics rather than try to cover everything under the sun.

In fact, the book started to feel more like a general 'life-advice' sort of book. It went beyond the whole 'living the single life' into a 'how to have a good life sort of book'. Now that I'm keeping an eye on the content page, I see that it's structured to address the single women, but as I was reading this book, there were times when I thought "this is for everyone, no matter single or attached."

Which leads me to one point that I don't agree with. I don't think that being single means you have more time to make a difference (and vice versa). It may be that an attached woman who is very efficient can make more of a difference than a single woman.

To sum, while this is a good book, it's not the must read book for anyone who's single.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^