Saturday, June 1, 2013

Long Reads #20

Oh my, I haven't reviewed my long reads in such a long time! HAHAHAHA, I crack myself up. Whoops, was I the only one laughing? Well, I shouldn't, because some of the essays I want to share today are extremely serious.

It's 2013, And They're Burning 'Witches' by Jo Chandler - I came across this on Facebook (strange right? Normally it's Google+). A friend had shared this, and well, it was something that sparked my re-interest in long-form essays. It covers the witchhunt going on right now in Papua New Guinea and it's heartbreaking. I can't believe that people would take out their frustrations on a helpless person. And this person is mostly women. It's just sad.

Activists allege forced abortions, sterilizations in China by Ashely Hayes - ok, this is more of a news article than an essay, but seriously, this is, I don't know. Why did I end up reading stuff that picks on my gender? This is just sad. (Also, the title speaks for itself, so I don't think I really need to summarise this horrific piece).

The global world order after oil by Barry Desker - I think energy is an issue that concerns all of us, but the science behind it, well, I don't understand most of it. Thankfully, this piece was more on how oil (and the alternative energy) influences global politics, a subject that I find interesting - especially as a former MUN-er. Definitely worth a read.

Are You 'the Polite Little Girl in the Room'? by Joan Williams - This short piece deals with how women don't assert themselves in the workplace. It really reminds me of how each gender is viewed in a different light, i.e. an assertive guy is a good, but an assertive women just gets a lot of names. Well, I'm not that polite, but I still struggle to volunteer criticism - it's something I definitely have to work on.

Alright, that's all I have so far - but, I did find a bunch of really interesting looking articles to read! I hope I can find the time to do so(:

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^