Monday, October 29, 2012

Last to Die by Tess Gerritsen

One of the few series I follow would be the Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen (I can thank Jurong NLB for that :D ). And while it's been a while, I'm glad that I read Last to Die, the latest in the series.

Last to Die follows three children, whose families are killed within a week of each other. And then their foster families are killed. Rizzoli doesn't believe the "official" solution (that Crowe created), so she investigates on her own, with Frost by her side. Isles, is pulled in through Julian, the boy who saved her a few books back (I've never read that particular book, I guess I'll have to go find it).

The plot is exciting. It's fast paced, and there's a twist. Then a double twist. It's really not so much a mystery than a thriller (at least to me). Most of the time, I was by the edge of my seat, frantically reading in order to find out what happened.

And this time, the sub-plots were really well done. I've gotten annoyed with Rizzoli on occasion, but this time, I really empathised with her. She's caught between a rock and a hard place with regards to her family. If you know nothing about the back story, however, you may not be so sympathetic. Isles, well, I've always liked her as a character. She seems calm and in control, but she's struggling beneath. And I loved how in this book, both ladies grew closer as friends.

Speaking of characters, I noticed Julian is getting more and more prominent, especially as his relationship with Isles grows stronger (I guess they wanted to make her more maternal). Now I've really got to hunt down the story he first appeared in and read that.

This is definitely a must-read for fans of the series! And non-fans.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^