Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Christmas Home by Greg Kincaid

How many of you have read A Dog Named Christmas? Chances are, if you're a book lover, you've read this heartwarming tale about how the right dog can change a family. Of course, I read it too (in fact, I own a copy). So, when I saw that a sequel was out on NetGalley, I jumped at the chance to read it.

Well.... I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a really sweet story and I did want to finish the book, but somehow, it wasn't as touching as A Dog Named Christmas. 

Personally, I think this is all the fault of the narrative choice. The book is written in third person (and if I remember rightly, A Dog Named Christmas was written in first person). While this was necessary, as the book jumped from character to character, it ended up distancing me from the characters. I think, the book would have been much better if it had the immediacy and intimacy of the first-person narrative. 

As to the plot, it's interesting. Due to the economic slowdown, the small town is struggling. It's struggling so much that they have to close the shelter where Todd now works. And so, Todd, Haley and the volunteers at the shelter do their best to either keep the shelter open or find homes for all the animals in the race against time. In addition, Todd has to struggle with finding a new job, and we're also given a look into his relationship with Laura. 

All in all, this is a really sweet and short book. I didn't feel very touched by it, but I have a feeling that it will touch a lot of (other) people.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^